Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fail: 'Demon 29 Shoe (Brown)' by Demonia/Pleaser at Pleaser USA

There is a very specific reason to why I list this pair as a Fail, and that is laziness. Execution, quality wise, is good.

I find it extremely lackluster, sticking some vaguely cog-like clutter on an ordinary, modern gothic shoe and making it brown (everything in brass/brown combo is Steampunk, right?) while they're at it, and then calling it Steampunk, riding on the fact that said style is (and has been for a while) a popular style right now. (Besides, they're made of animal skin. Yuck.)

They are forgetting both the Steam and the Punk here. There is no attitude, no quirkiness, no fantasy. And for a company who proudly claims it "not only reflects the alternative lifestyle, it defines it", this is an unimpressive and above all boring performance.

Try to think of something else, Demonia. You do things right, too, sometimes.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I totally agree. The first time I saw these that is exactly what I thought: Ugh! They did a bit better job with their steampunk boots at least! They look a bit more Victorian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually kind of like this shoe. At least they made the cog-things into functional buckles instead of just glueing them randomly onto the toe or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the shoes aren't that bad. These never particularly interested me, but...I sure don't believe they're THAT bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ow, I actually thought "great buckles!" when seeing these shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do like the buckles, but totally agree..it is kinda boring, it definitely lacks the fantasy element i love

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was a veggie-leather, didn't have that chunky heel and platform, but instead a twidly, Victorian inspired heel in brass and a regular sole at the front, and had a few patterns in the strap, it would be good. It took me about 30 seconds to think that up, so I'm sure the designers at Demonia WERE being lazy, and just trying to steampunkify one of their existing shoes.

    ReplyDelete